The Waukee Public Library and the Waukee Area Historical Society announced they are partnering on a new initiative – the Local History Series. Throughout 2017, the two organizations will present historical information on specific topics related to Waukee and the surrounding areas.
All sessions will be held at the Waukee Public Library at 1 p.m. on the Sundays listed below, unless otherwise noted:
- February 5: Underground Railroads in Dallas and Guthrie County
- March 26: Ghost Towns of Dallas County
- May 7: Dexfield Amusement Park
- August 6: Orton Circus of Ortonville
- September 10: Finding Your Roots – A Beginner’s Guide
- October 1: Bonnie and Clyde Shootout in Dexfield Park
- October 8: Superior Popcorn Company of Waukee (Location TBD)
- November 5: Dallas County History/Preserving Your Family History (1:30 p.m.)
Rod Stanley, historian and retired history teacher, will be the presenter of the majority of these intriguing sessions. Theresa Liewer from the Iowa Genealogical Society will present “Finding Your Roots – A Beginner’s Guide”. Local author Darcy Maulsby will present “Dallas County History/Preserving Your Family History”.
This series is provided free of charge to the public by the Waukee Public Library and the Waukee Area Historical Society. Advance registration is not required.