Parents/guardians in the Waukee School District with incoming kindergarten students are encouraged to register their children for the Waukee Police Department's annual Safety City program. Attendees will learn about safety from volunteers during this week-long course, featuring eight different sessions from which to choose. Online-only registration is now open.
A miniature city will be used to teach students correct street crossing techniques, along with vehicle safety by using tricycles as automobiles. Safety City will also include lessons on:
- Pedestrian Rules
- Street Crossing
- Traffic Lights
- Waukee Safe House Program
- Window Safety
- Poisons and Drug Abuse
- Bus Rules
- Fire Safety
- Respect for Authority
- Seat Belts
- Bike Safety
Each student will receive a bicycle helmet and t-shirt. Students will also have the opportunity to ride a school bus and tour the Waukee Public Safety Building. Contact Waukee Police with questions at 515-978-7979.
Safety City Sessions:
- June 5-9: Session 1 from 9-11:30 a.m. and Session 2 from 1-3:30 p.m.
- June 12-16: Session 3 from 9-11:30 a.m. and Session 4 from 1-3:30 p.m.
- June 19-23: Session 5 from 9-11:30 a.m. and Session 6 from 1-3:30 p.m.
- June 26-30: Session 7 from 9-11:30 a.m. and Session 8 from 1-3:30 p.m.
Safety City is very popular. Early registration is encouraged. The cost is $50 plus convenience fees. If families are unable to afford the registration costs, assistance may be made available by calling 515-978-7979. The registration deadline is May 5 or when program sessions are full.