Pools and Hot Tubs

If you want to add a pool or hot tub that will have 18 inches or more of water in it, you will need a permit from the City of Waukee. This includes, but is not limited to, in-ground, above-ground, on-ground pools as well as hot tubs and spas. This helps ensure your pool or hot tub meets requirements for city ordinances, including safety features. NOTE: This page originally noted a permit is required for pools or hot tubs with 24 inches of water, but a portion of city code currently has 18 inches as the depth requiring a barrier and a permit. We have updated this page to accurately reflect the code today, but a public hearing will be held soon to update the code to 24 inches. Thanks for your patience as we work through that process. The page will be updated when the change is approved.

Before you put in a pool or hot tub, the City of Waukee requires:

  • A permit application for the pool and any supporting documents related to the build specifications
  • Supporting documentation for a non-scalable fence or barrier at least 48 inches in height above finished ground level with all access points being self-closing and self-latching
  • A permit application for electrical and/or plumbing if necessary
  • A permit application for any decks, stairs or accessory structures related to the pool
  • A site plan indicating the location of the new project on your lot

Permit Process

  1. Obtain and fill out a general permit application online here.
  2. After the application and all required information have been submitted, the department has 12 business days to review the application.
  3. You will be notified by email or telephone of approval and any fees.
  4. Once the permit has been approved and paid for, you may begin your project.

Permit Fees

  • In ground pool: $150
  • Above ground pool: $50
  • Hot tub trade work only: $75
  • Fees are subject to change due to City adopted ordinances. Further charges may be issued upon review of any and all submitted materials.

Things to Do Before Construction Begins

  • Restrictive covenants are the responsibility of the property owner. Check with your homeowner association (HOA), if applicable, before installing your project.
  • Always contact 811 before digging to locate utilities that may be under your property. Summer months have a high demand for utility marking, so we recommend contacting 811 at least one week in advance to ensure all marking organizations can visit your property.