Human Resources coordinates recruitment and hiring, conducts contract negotiations, and administers employee benefits, compensation and job classifications for the City of Waukee.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The City supports equal employment opportunity for all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, age, national origin, disability and any other category protected by any applicable local, state or federal law. This policy extends to all terms, conditions and privileges of employment, as well as the use of all Employer facilities and participation in all Employer-sponsored activities as follows:
- Recruitment, advertising and job application procedures;
- Hiring, promotion, demotion, transfer, layoff, termination, right of return from layoff and rehiring;
- Rates of pay or any other form of compensation and changes in compensation;
- Job assignments, job classifications, organizational structure, position descriptions, lines of progression, and seniority lists;
- Leaves of absence, sick leave or any other leave;
- Fringe benefits available by virtue of employment, whether or not administered by the City;
- Selection and financial support for training, including apprenticeships, professional meetings, conferences and other related activities and selection for leaves of absence to pursue training;
- Activities sponsored by a covered entity including social and recreational programs; and
- Any other term, condition or privilege of employment.
Harassment, retaliation, coercion, interference or intimidation of any employee is strictly forbidden and any employee who experiences such behavior should report it immediately to his/her supervisor, Department Director or the City Administrator/Clerk.
Anti-Discrimination Policy Statement
It is the policy of the City of Waukee that no person, on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, gender, age, national origin, marital status, disability, status as a veteran or other class protected by applicable Federal, State of Iowa, or local law, shall be excluded from participation in, be denied benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity offered by the City. The City of Waukee further assures every effort will be made to ensure non-discrimination in all of its committees, programs and activities, regardless of the funding source.
Under Iowa Code Chapter 35C, certain honorably discharged person (as defined under Iowa Code Chapter 35.1) who are citizens and residents of Iowa and who served in specified wars and conflicts are entitled to preference in appointment, employment and promotion over other applicants of no greater qualifications.
Home Base Iowa
Waukee has earned the Home Base Iowa Community designation to demonstrate our support for veterans and transitioning service members. On June 20, 2016, the Waukee City Council unanimously passed a resolution in support of the Home Base Iowa initiative. The Governor and Lt. Governor of Iowa recognized Waukee as a Home Base Iowa Community on September 15, 2016. Learn about Waukee's Home Base Iowa Community Incentives.