Portable Irrigation Meter

A portable meter helps residents who irrigate frequently save money by reducing sewer charges on water used for irrigation or other outdoor purposes. Sewer credit is given for each 1,000 gallons used. If you have any questions about portable irrigation meters, call the Utility Billing Office at 515-978-5502.

How to Buy

Portable irrigation meters can be purchased at City Hall for $125. Payment can only be made with cash, check or money order. The meters connect directly to a 5/8-inch garden hose. The property owner is responsible for reporting their meter read once a month during the summer months. Sewer charge credits will be reflected on the following bill. 

Bring the irrigation meter inside in the fall. Do not leave it outside or in an unheated garage or shed for the winter. Certify your meter each spring to remain eligible for statement credits.

Portable Meter Reading

How to Read Your Meter

Your meter reads as follows: 0000/000. The first four digits (with the white background, black numbers) are millions, hundred thousands, ten thousands, and thousands. The last three digits (with the black background, white numbers) are the hundreds, tens and ones. The ones are a stationary number and always zero (refer to example below).

The number 0028/690 represents 28,690 gallons. The reading you would report is 0028690. If the following month your reading is 0030/980 (which represents 30,980 gallons), then the reading you would report is 0030980 and you would receive credit for 2000 gallons. You would then multiply the current sewer rate by 2 to determine your credit on the next bill.

Certify Your Meter Each Spring

You must certify your portable meter each year at the beginning of the irrigation season through one of these methods to be eligible for sewer credits on your bill: 

  • Submit a simple certification form here. You need a picture of the meter reading and a picture of the meter number to complete the form.
  • Bring the meter to the Utility Billing Office at Waukee City Hall (230 W. Hickman Road) on a weekday between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. 

Reporting Meter Readings

To receive your sewer credit on your utility bill, report the meter reading for months that you use your irrigation meter. If you have multiple meters, please complete a separate form for each meter. If your form is received by the 20th of the month, credit will be applied to your next bill.

  • Submit your meter reading here.
  • If you pay your bill with cash or check, write your meter reading on the payment stub in the appropriate location. If you have more than one meter, please report the 8-digit meter number located on the lid with the reading so it can be correctly recorded on your account.

Winter Months

This meter will freeze if left outside or in an unheated garage or shed. Bring the meter inside your home for the winter, so it continues to work. 

Selling or Giving Your Meter Away

If you sell or give your portable irrigation meter to someone else, contact the Utility Billing Department at WaukeeUtilities@waukee.org or 515-978-5502.