Citizen of the Year
The City of Waukee and the Waukee Area Chamber of Commerce are jointly seek nominations for Waukee’s Citizen of the Year. The Citizen of the Year program aims to recognize a Waukee resident for dedicated volunteer efforts in the previous year(s) which lead to making Waukee a great place in which to live, work, play and learn.
In 2021, the Waukee Area Chamber of Commerce will be taking over this program.
Citizen of the Year Nomination Criteria
Nominees shall demonstrate excellence in one or more of the following areas:
- Volunteer service in the Waukee community that is above and beyond what is expected.
- Exemplary character, commitment and/or leadership, either as an individual or through an organization, which makes a positive difference in Waukee.
- Helping others without personal or monetary compensation.
- Involvement in more than one area of interest over a period of time that has resulted in significant, positive impact within the City of Waukee.
Other conditions of nominations:
- Nominees must be Waukee residents.
- Previous Citizen of the Year award recipients are ineligible.
- Nomination information may be used for publicity purposes.
- Nomination applications shall become property of the City of Waukee and may be considered a public record subject to public disclosure under Chapter 22 of the Iowa Code.
- The deadline for nominations is Feb. 21, 2020.
- A selection committee (consisting of the Mayor of Waukee, the Waukee Area Chamber of Commerce Board President, the Waukee Betterment Foundation Board President, the Waukee Area Christian Services Director and the Waukee Family YMCA Director) will review all qualifying nominations and collectively select a recipient.
- The recipient shall not be selected solely on the number of nominations received for a single nominee.
- All decisions of the selection committee are final.
- The recipient will be announced by the Mayor of Waukee at a regular city council meeting.
Citizen of the Year honors:
- Recognition at an open house reception
- Citizen of the Year plaque
- Prize package from the Waukee Area Chamber of Commerce and its participating members
- Name inscribed on a plaque containing the names of all past recipients
- Invitation to ride in the City of Waukee’s Independence Day parade
- Recognition on the City and Chamber websites and other City/Chamber communications platforms